Sunday, April 13, 2014

A Connection So Strong (with photographic evidence)

Over the years things change.  I have changed.  Most of my changes have been subtle and personal and I am continuing to grow and become more confident in who I am and what I am good at.  A hobby of mine and, a sometimes money maker, is my photography.  I love to take pictures of the world around me.  I don't have fancy equipment and I am self teaching the ins and outs of the skill, but, overall I like what I see in my viewfinder.  I am an admirer of many local photographers including the late Bill Coleman, my Scott Kelby Photowalk friends, and, one of my favorites, Brandon Stanton who is the man behind Humans of New York.  

I look at HONY every day.  I own the book.  I admire and am amazed at the emotion and truth that come from his images and his simple questions to his subjects.  His sweetest are often of children or of older couples.  Innocence and wisdom right there, everyday, on the streets of the city.   Love is present in the eyes and the looks of his couples, but, he did not get to see the love of Dolores and Harry.  He would have relished in the chance to take their picture and talk to them about love and loyalty.  

Aunt Dolores and Uncle Harry were an extraordinary couple.   I dont know the particulars of their love story, not sure how or when they met, or where they went on their first date, or, when they became engaged.  I do know that they were enamored with each other. They were each others touchstone, best friend, life long partner.  If ever there was an example of soul mates it was Dolores and Harry.  Pictures of them make me smile. Memories of their affection are strong.  They always held hands. He told her she was beautiful, she thought he was heaven sent. They always sat close together at events.  They always teased and laughed.  Always.   It was sweet and real and something we all strive to have.  Aunt Dolores and Uncle Harry had it in spades!   

I don't suppose that their relationship was without bumps or moments of exasperation; no one's is. Nothing is perfect. In a long and busy marriage life can throw you lots of curve balls.  They weathered every storm, together.  

They were something else, fun, funny, caring and loving people who gave us all unconditional love and amazing gifts, delicious food, 4 incredible cousins, phone calls, childrearing advice and anything else we needed.  All I ever had to do was ask.  As they got older they enjoyed a retirement and built a new life away from Brooklyn where they made new friends and helped out in new ventures, always together. They welcomed all with open arms and I don't think ever met a stranger!  I loved visiting with them when they moved to PA.  I loved driving my aunt to the events we went to together and then coming home and watching John Edward's TV show in her country home. 

When Uncle Harry passed on I do know that my aunt missed her husband from the moment he left this life till she was able to join him.  I know she wrote to him every night before she went to sleep and continued to love him with every fiber of her being. 

Recently I ran across this photo of them: I stole it from my cousin's facebook page and put it in my folder of photos.  Humans of New York, wish you could have met Dolores and Harry on the streets of Brooklyn. That picture would have been classic and the story even more so. It would have been a treat to have heard what they would have said!  This picture sums that love affair pretty well, though.  




*sorry I can't credit the photographer, I have no idea who that is.


Loving and missing you both! 


No comments:

Post a Comment